Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Belgian is done.

5/28/2012

New Terminology:
Smash: Mash done with one malt and one hop. Used to check out the the taste of new hop or new malt.
I heard when I went into Adventures in Homebrewing (AIH) and they has a taste available a new hop that came in

Where its at:

Bottled the IPA a week ago, Just bottled the Belgian. Making another Berkshire Brown, Slight more flake corn and adding corn sugar to the boil. I am over compensating for the lack of attenuation in the original version. I do believe that the attenuation problem happened because the mash was at 165 not 155 and I let the extract flow out of the tun (cooler) full out for the JennInBlack and the Berkshire Brown. I can see the gelitinization of the sugar extracted from the malt happening now that I didn't see before. I also think temperature control in primary fermentation was a problem with the attenuation of the JennInBlack and the Berkshire Brown. The outside temperature would vary 20 degrees within the day.

Lessons learned.
I love the flavor of the cascade hop. The Columbus hop is suppose to finish the taste but I think it dampened it to much. I tried some of the IPA a little young. It did not burst with the grapefruit bite I was hoping for but it is still a great beer. First beer that I have made that I can have some pride in it has the attenuation and a close taste profile. I think in the next variation, just let the cascade shine and not finish it with the Columbus hop. Probably should add champagne yeast the the IPA to get the carbonation required.

New additions.
I have gotten a heating strap that goes around the primary fermenter (PF) that should keep the temperature of the PF at 65 degrees. Hope that fixes the temperature issue or at least eliminate it as a potential problem.
Mt Rainer Hops. New addition at AIH.
It has a "pine"ier taste reminiscent of the evergreens around the Mt Rainier near Seattle.
I should do an IPA with this or perhaps a pale ale that accentuates the hop.


Want to try next.
Still want to do the slider (breakfast stout with a White Castle Coffee).
Need to do a breakfast stout
Want see what rye can do?
Why do I need a protien break.. Is that for wheat beer?
Another IPA
a Wiesbock
a  classc porter
a lager
a caramelish amber ale.
a clone of moose drool.


Things to figure out:
Water: Filtered water is better, but is tap water ok?. I have tried three beers now with just Ypsilanti tap water. So far they seem ok. I tend to like robust beers so I wouldn't be able the taste the effect of a clearer water.
I think I need to do a smash of my favorite clear bear with Mt Rainer vs Cascade hops and one that is Ypsilanti vs filtered water. I need to first figure out a taste that I like and can drink over and over again and compare

No comments:

Post a Comment